Sunday, June 26, 2011

Violets Mixing Chart - All My Blues and Reds on my Palette

OK.......here we go.  I've finally completed all my Blue/Red basic combinations and have found I really like using Quin Rose mixed with each of my blues.

What really surprises me is the results using Perm Aliz with those blues leaning towards Red like French Ultramarine.  You would think yellow was hidden in one of the pigments and it very well could be the case (or some other foreign additive that is graying the mix).  I'd have to check out Handprint for more specifics in the pigments I'm using as he goes to great lengths in breaking things down.

Another surprise was mixing Phthalo Blue (Green) with Quin Rose.  You'd think that combination would be more grayed with the results.

All the blues mixed with Cad Red Md leaned towards black, gray and brown.  My notes share that Cad Red Md in Daniel Smith is somewhat similar or reminds me of the Daniel Smith Burnt Sienna which is not as vivid as W&N Bt Sienna.  Daniel Smith's Bt Sienna is more like W&N Light Red but with different characteristics when mixed with other colors.






Well there you have it..............this has been quite a neat experiment that should help me for future mixing of violets that I like.  I definitely should have done this a long time ago with this brand of paint.  And I'm surprised I haven't because I've always been big on making charts.  I guess I'm getting lazy the older I get.  Live and learn..........right?  :-D


4 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

The Aliz. you are using seems to be more yellow than mine & some other manufacturers'. I like the fr. Ultra. & cobalt & Quin. & Aliz. combos for violet the best here.

Susan Bronsak said...

The plus to this is that I know which combinations to stay away from!! I'm with you on the choices. Thank you.....I so appreciate your feedback on all of this!!

Elizabeth said...

How interesting! I've done this with my blues and yellows since I use so many green shades, but only in a limited basis for violet. I especially like the way Quin Rose makes lovely clear violets! I'd like to be more methodical in my charting.

Susan Bronsak said...

Elizabeth, like you, I've mainly charted greens plus also browns. I need to work with mixing reds and yellows next. Thank you for the comment.