Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Another Discovery - Scarlet Elf Cup

With our weather being absolutely gorgeous for near two weeks, we've been spending a lot of time outdoors doing various things.  One of the tasks I've taken on is clearing paths through the woods that I can walk without tripping over rock and/or fallen trees and branches.

As I was moving a clump of branches, I discovered these really neat looking "cups" attached to the dead wood.  I've never seen anything like this and had to look it up on the internet. 

This is just a sampling of the several cups I found.  This one was the prettiest of the bunch with a full round cup shape. 

Taking the branch back to the house so I could study it more, the exposure to the sunlight dried it up within several hours.

As you can see, I used a little artistic license in the coloring of the branch.  It was actually dingy gray, brown and black with some mold on it.  

No comments: