Sunday, April 1, 2012

Garden Gloves - Pen and Ink


Today's achievement is a pen and ink sketch of a pair of my garden gloves.  I used a Rotring Pen (F) but chose not to use the waterbrush.  This time I just wanted the ink sketch.  This was done in my mini Handbook.

An exercise I try to repeat often to help myself with observational skills and gaining confidence.  Although I don't freeze (for what seems like a lifetime), sitting there staring at the paper fearing to put pen to paper, I do still find myself a little hesitant in starting.  It gets better each time I do these.

I managed to get one glove done and as I sat there feeling great about the results (so far), my fears kicked in and I panicked..............feeling I'll probably botch this up.   I decided to scan what I had done ...... just in case I messed the works up drawing in the second glove.  That said, I knew if it all went amiss, I had my scan to remind me that if I could do it once, I could do it again if need be.  (Dealing with my insecurities and gaining confidence is a works in progress :-)




The finished ink sketch.  I DID IT adding the second glove without botching the works up.  Talk about a real feeling of accomplishment!

It's sad when our minds and feelings play against us.



UPDATE:  OK........NOW I want to take the water brush to the ink and finish as an ink and wash.  Do I or don't I?  Think I'll sleep on it.  Actually if this were non water soluble ink, I would have enjoyed applying watercolor to it.  Guess I'll just have to do another sketch but in watercolor ;-)   

UPDATE2:  Well..............it kept calling to me to take a wet brush to it so I gave in.  I tried something a little different this time and that was using my 3/8" angular flat.  With the flat I knew I could maintain a little better control with flow of water.  I really like how this turned out and I may take to using the flat more often.

Hmmm.......should I take it a step further????



UPDATE 3:  I just couldn't rest till I took it one step further.  Here is the finished sketch applying color to the top glove.  My garden gloves are a goldish color with green thumbs.  The ink and wash set the stage for them to look as they truly do..................used and dirty from working in the garden.


7 comments:

Student of the Bible said...

This is such a good study of what can be done. Thanks for sharing it with the world.
Wonderful hos you hesitated to put pen to paper and then continued adding something extra. It sjows that one can overcome fears by taking the first step.

Diane said...

I enjoy listening to your thought process as you work.
And I totally relate to a previous post about working in public. You at least do wonderful work, I am far from your level so would be very embarrassed to have anyone looking at me and my journal.

straythreads said...

enjoyed reading your thought process step by step. your sketches are inspiring and delightful.
Ann

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you, Rentia. I often wonder what other people go through when they sit down to do any kind of art work. What fears or insecurities they might be feeling, etc. I know I can't be alone.

I've always told my sons that when facing obstacles (to include ourselves), at least try. I have to remind myself often of that same thing.

Susan Bronsak said...

Diane......I think we each see ourselves in a different light (often in a negative way) than how others see us. I'm sure it runs true with our artwork. As people tell me........don't cut yourself or your abilities short. ;-) There will always be people better than us and always people still trying to reach where we might be. I try to keep this in mind in many instances, although I don't always succeed :-)

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you too, Diane, for what you said. That was such a nice compliment and I truly appreciate it.

Susan Bronsak said...

Ann....thank you so much for your comment!