Friday, June 8, 2012

How to Draw a Woodchuck

One of my favorite blogs I love to follow is sketchingeveryday.com.  Each year I look forward to this time of year when Sandy shares exercises and how she goes about creating her beautiful artwork...hoping to inspire and motivate others.

The second exercise of the 2012 season is a woodchuck and when I saw her graphite sketches, my interest was sparked and I had to jump right in to see what I could do.

Please see Sandy's post on sketching a woodchuck for more details to include several lovely graphite woodchuck sketches.


The originating demo of this little creature is by Sheri Amsel at exploringnature.org who has several demonstrations drawing birds and other animals.  Do check out her website, Exploring Nature Educational Resource............its a great site for all ages.

With Sheri's permission, Sandy used and shared her demo breaking it down into simple basic shapes.  It definitely made the drawing process not only easy but fun.  And with Sheri's and Sandy's permission, I share here with you.......




Taking it one step further, I decided to use brush and paint to finish him off.


This was done in my Handbook journal using Daniel Smith pigments:  Fr Ultra, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, and Sap Green.  A #10 Round was used to keep myself from getting too detailed.

2 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

I am so thrilled you did this Susan! And with such panache! Thanks so much for your participation and friendship. I love what you are doing these days with the looser watercolors and your journaling! You are such a positive influence, thank you again.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you Sandy. I still have a tendency to want to "tighten" up....get every detail just so so. But I'm working at it :-)