Monday, December 31, 2012

Platinum Carbon Pen Ink Sketches

It's been a week since I've posted anything.  This should help make up for it :-))

All sketches done with the Platinum Carbon pen with Black ink in the no-name sketchbook.  The little bear door stop was also done with the Pilot Prera with Lexington Gray ink.

Out of all these sketches, my favorite page is top left with the dogwood and building.  Next favorite is the flowers in the bowl followed by the simple palm landscape.

Least favorite are the mushrooms (don't think I really did all that great in shading) followed by the man and child.

Rendering people is difficult enough for me but then add the challenge working with pen and ink.....ohhh boy!!   Just means more practice :-))  The one plus is that I feel I came close with overall shapes and proportions.  It's in the shading I don't care for.  The guy looks super hairy (especially his leg) as does the child with the hatching and cross hatching I tried to use conveying shadows.  Plus I should have pulled the dark on the guys shirt more towards center of back (not leave so much sun-lit area......easy enough to fix).

The little bear doorstop is a neutral where I don't necessarily like the results nor do I dislike the results.

When I sit down to do anything.......I have this idea of what I hope to achieve (as I'm sure most do).  I may already have an image in my head and it's that preconceived idea I use to critique my own results.........sharing feelings and thoughts in what I may have done to my own liking and that which I don't care for and why.

I do feel great that I'm still putting pen to paper as I am even if some of the sketches might not stand up to my own personal standards.  :-))




2 comments:

larry said...

Wonderful sketches, Susan. Clearly, with winter upon me, I'm going to have to tell my brain that sketching from photos is fun. I'm loving your pen sketches from photos so maybe that will be sufficient inspiration.

Happy New Year!

Cheers --- Larry

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you, Larry!!!! And I too have come to prefer sketching from real life but I started out using photos so it's not too hard for me to flip back and forth when need be. The plus is that 98% of what I do from photos is from actual experience I personally took photos of.

Happy New Year!!!