Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Friendly City???

Here is a sketch I did of downtown Fairmont.  This is the heart of the city/town where the courthouse is located as well as other government buildings.

Fairmont's nickname is "the Friendly City" but in all honesty, I don't know how it got that name.  I've been here 17 years and personally find it to be just the opposite.  Maybe at one time the city warranted that nickname; however, most people of today walk around and work as if they couldn't be bothered or carrying chips on their shoulders.  You do find some friendlies now and then as you would anywhere.

This area sits across a river where Tygart River and West Fork River join in what's known as Buffalo Creek/Monongahelia River.  This area is also known as "West Side".

I may have to go back and try this again as I struggled with the perspective of the dome.  It's worked in my Stillman & Birn 4 x 6 Alpha journal using the Pilot Prera with Lexington Gray ink and Daniel Smith Watercolors:  App Green, Cerulean Blue, Bt Sienna, Cobalt Blue and New Gamboge.

It's taken me some time to gain the courage to even attempt this as city scenes can be daunting to me.  Plus side is I worked past my fears and gave it a try.  Maybe as I practice more, it will become easier for me.  ;-)


No comments: