Thursday, October 10, 2013

Playing with Techniques

These are quick sketches in my Daler Rowney sketchbook playing with different methods or techniques.  First two using a credit card for the main trunks; third page pen and ink plus watercolor and then fourth page using a rigger brush almost parallel to the paper using quick side strokes on the paper.  The paper is super smooth so I didn't quite get the results I know one can get on paper with tooth.

The last two page entry is using a bamboo dip pen and Daniel Smith Walnut ink.  I tried on dry paper as well as painting tree shape with brush and plain water and touching the dip pen for the ink to spread.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan....I admire your work very much. I was wondering if there were any online workshops that you could direct me to that I haven't taken yet. I have the Peter Saw DVD, and taken classes from Cathy Johnson, Laurie Ferlita and a couple others I can't think of right now. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Susan Bronsak said...

Hi Brigitte......thank you so much for your comment!!! Peter Saw and Cathy Johnson are my two favorite. I still work Peter's doodles from time to time. I never tire of viewing his CD.

As for other recommendations.....wow. Grant Fuller is another I like real well. Sterling Edwards which is a very different type of painting. Brenda Swenson, Claudia Nice for drawing.

Before this year I had a collection of over 600 books and videos I had collected. I'm down to half that after donating to the university. Check out https://artistsnetwork.tv/c-37-watercolor.aspx. You might find something there. Also, you tube for videos in the medium you like.

Another place I've dealt with is http://ccpvideos.com/

For some other free clips that might be of interest is through Jerrys Artarama..... http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-lessons/free-art-instruction-videos.html.

I think Dick Blick also has a learning center.

Hope those give you some ideas.

Thank you again!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Susan! I appreciate you taking the time to give me so much info.

Susan Bronsak said...

You are so welcome, Brigitte!! Truly hope it helps.