Monday, October 27, 2014

Itsy Bitsy Spider

We've seen Orb Weavers before, which we feel are gorgeous and unique spiders, but this is the first we've seen this Spiny Back Orb Weaver.  This page is deceiving giving the impression this little guy is huge but it's very tiny.  Not even a half inch wide.....maybe the size of the very tip of my pinky finger.

There are two in particular with either white body / dark red spines or yellow body / black spines.  Our first siting of this one in particular looked yellow with black.  It was later in the day and I had to try and get underneath to get a photo of him.  The next morning I found him on top of the web giving me a better viewing and realized it was more white with dark red spines.

Of course I did the illustration from my first viewing.  Notice at this point there were three main threads of his web.  Each had this fuzzy part and we read where only the supporting threads will have this.  The next day there were four supporting threads and more of the web between them.

Strathmore Visual Watercolor Journal and QoR watercolors


No comments: