Thursday, July 21, 2016

Blue Heron on the Dead River

Today I decided to bring out my Noodler's Creaper flex pen and work this sketch of a Blue Heron along the Dead River.

Working with this flex pen was a reminder it's one of my least favorite pens.  I've really tried to like it but it has a wetter feed than what I really like to work with (and that's without trying to flex the nib).  Using the same ink I normally use (Lexington Grey), it didn't dry very quickly on the paper and I would end up picking up ink on the side of my hand and transferring it back onto the paper as I sketched.  That for me is a frustrating aspect of some fountain pens, nibs, and ink.

Even with that bit of frustration, I still managed to finish this watercolor sketch.  Worked in the Strathmore Visual Watercolor journal.

NOTE:  Same paper I use the same ink with other pens and don't always have this problem with slow drying ink.


2 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

Remind me where is the Dead River?

Despite the pen issues, I liked the sketch.
But won't be buying one of those pens!!!
I did get another fountain pen but have for the moment forgotten what kind.
It is a long thin one that you can use on a desk. Very fine point.
Still playing with it.
Am in wc class this weekend. See my blog.

Susan Bronsak said...

Sorry Ginny.........I'm just now seeing this comment. I've been a bit lax of late with art and everything.

The Dead River is off Lake Eustis there going into Tavares.