Sunday, March 12, 2017

Guard House - Europe

A good friend of mine (like a sister) lives in the UK.  She sends me photos now and then she thinks I might be interested in sketching and painting.

One particular photo received recently was of this guard house structure.  I liked the simplicity of the structure and the surrounding landscape.

Handsewn Journal / Fabriano / Lamy Safari / Lexy Gray ink / TWSBI for added ink detailing.




When I finished working this, there was something about it that just didn't sit right with me.  First off I failed to bring the rocks down in the foreground.....curving a bit to the left.  I also didn't care for the structure itself.........to me looked too squared off for being round or cylindrical.

I was able to lift color where the foreground rocks sit and the bottom structure of the building to help curve it a bit.  I also toned down the brightness of the structure as to me it was just too bright for being a cloudy day. Maybe I should have left it alone as I may have gone overboard and maybe I curved the bottom of the guard house a bit too much; but, overall I "think" I'm a bit happier with the results.  In any event, I've called it done and moving on.


No comments: