Tuesday, August 1, 2017

New Creepy Crawly Seen

While on the sketchcrawl last Friday, a good friend and art pal pointed out this insect crawling on the ground.  Neither of us really new what it was except a very large looking ant.  I'd never seen one before.

I sat and watched it as it crawled towards me and over to the tree I was sitting close to.  I was super intrigued by the size and the gorgeous vivid red color and texture.

After returning home, I went online to research just what kind of ant this was.  It was really interesting to learn that this "ant" is an actual wasp.  Although it might be a wasp, the name of this is the Red Velvet Ant.  Females do not have wings and crawl.  Only the males have wings.  They range in size from 1/2 inch to 1 and 1/4th inch.  The one we saw was closer to the smaller end of the size scale.  Their sting is known to pack quite a nasty wallop and this insect's nick name is called the Cow Killer (although I didn't find any reference that this was actually true).

Worked in the Beta journal using Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils.  Steps shown.




Ooops...........just realized I spelled Albrecht wrong on my step sheet.


No comments: